Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Jewel of Consistency

Okay, let's face it, a whole lot of what we have in life is the result of consistency. My bank balance is what it is either because I consistently made deposits or habitually withdrew funds. I am either persistently putting things where they belong or chronically leaving them out. My garage, house, and car reflect my choices. If I want to change my outcomes, I can do so right now, and now, and now, and now. See my point?

Through a long string of nows, I can dramatically change my environment, my skills, my attitude and even my relationships. The Karate Kid, classically depicted this principle. By giving Daniel a series of well-chosen, routine tasks, Mr. Miyagi stealthily teaches Daniel to practice the motions required to master martial arts. Daniel repeatedly chooses to exercise trust in Mr. Miyagi, although at times very grudgingly. The prize for Daniel in the end is a dramatically improved set of skills, outlook, and friendships.



The fishmongers of the Pike Place Fish Market promote a philosophy that embraces such personal responsibility to the max. According to Cindy Crother (2004) "It's all over here" is their way of conveying the idea that I am responsible for "what I experience in my life and for whatever future I cause to happen in my life." As Crother describes in Catch, the emphasis is on who we are and what we want. An emphasis that you may recognize from my post on Third Wave Psychology.

I can look at my friends' and family members' successes and choose to emulate them. Or I can summon up a boatload of excuses for why their successes are unique to them and unachievable for me. Another choice I have is to applaud their successes and acknowledge that I have equal successes in different areas because I care about other things. While they learned to climb mountains, I have learned to write about them. While they have logged hours on the golf course, I have logged hours in the class room. While I was experiencing what it is to live in one city after another, they were paying down a mortgage. Spreading wings is as valid as growing roots. Though each produces different outcomes, both require a series of personal choices.

I am who I am and I am responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment