Saturday, July 25, 2009

Christianity and an Existential Perspective

Sometimes I lose sight of the obvious things. I temporarily forget foundational truths that otherwise keep me focused and balanced. Day to day life comes in to overwhelm me. Or things just sneak up on me. Before I realize it I am under a mountain (or at least a molehill) of things I have left unprocessed. My sense of well-being gasps for air under such piles. It is at times like these that friends who will remind me of what I know become such a blessing to me.

At other times, it's the unidentified, emotion-laden baggage that I carry which holds me captive. In this case, it's not propositional truth that delivers me, but a fresh experience of God's grace. It is at times like these when nothing will substitute for a personal message from Him. This is when the existentialist's emphasis on the here-and-now is of utmost importance. Because it is only in the here and now that God's grace is experienced. Right here. Right now.

The thing I find exciting about all of this is that my friend can be a conduit for fulfilling either need. She can remind me of the propositional truths that I am forgetting. Or she can usher in a fresh encounter with God. Solitude is not a requirement for such connections. Sometimes God uses my friend's voice to speak to me. Sometimes He uses mine to convey a tender, personal message to my friend or to the client whom I am serving.

For instance, knowing I will be with this friend (or client) soon, I pray "God, what is it that you want to say to ______?" As I give myself to contemplating our meeting, perhaps a singular thought recurs... A thought such as, "she has a problem, but she thinks she is a problem."

I wonder about the recurrence of this thought, so I venture out and say to my friend, "Do you know that you are not a problem?" If she responds with a blank stare I assume the thought was me-generated and it served no purpose. But if she wells up in tears and tells me she has been plagued by self-doubts and despair, I tell her I have reason to believe that the comment was given to me by God. I tell her, "I think God wants you to know that you are not a problem" and then I step out of the way.

I start to I wonder if I should be slipping off my shoes, because I am pretty sure I am standing on holy ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment